By Farooq Kperogi
Joe Biden told a black radio host yesterday that if he had “a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump,” then he “ain’t black.” Yes, that betrayed an annoying sense of entitlement. Every politician, including Biden, should earn the vote of the electorate. No one is entitled to any vote.
Nevertheless, Biden’s broader point is that if you put his record side by side Trump’s, only a black masochist with a heightened taste for self-violence would vote Trump. Trump is an out-and-out, negrophobic, racist dirtbag. Here’s a 7-point abridged history of his anti-black bigotry.
1. In 1973, the US Department of Justice sued Trump for refusing to rent his property to black people. Discriminating against renters because of their race is a violation of the Fair Housing Act.
After a lengthy legal battle, he was compelled to sign an agreement that he’d not discriminate against black people. But he still said the government was forcing him to rent to “welfare recipients,” the racists’ codeword for poor black people.
2. In 1989, after 4 black teenagers—and one Latino teenager—were falsely accused of raping a white jogger in New York City’s Central Park, Trump bought newspaper ads that demanded that the government “BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY. BRING BACK OUR POLICE!” He wanted them killed!
Years after their wrongful conviction, thanks to pressure from racists like Trump, the boys were exonerated by DNA evidence. The city of New York paid them $41 million in restitution. But Trump refused to apologize for the role he played in wrongfully convicting the poor black boys. In fact, in 2016, he insisted that the boys were guilty despite DNA evidence to the contrary.
3. In criticizing a black accountant in 1991, Trump said, “Black guys counting my money! I hate it…. I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.”
4. In 2016, Trump praised and promoted a book titled “Adios America” by American conservative activist Ann Coulter which, among other racist claims, said, “There were almost no Nigerians in the United States until the 1970s. Today there are 380,000,” which she said was a problem because “in Nigeria, every level of society is criminal.”
5. On December 23, 2017, he was reported to have said people from Haiti and Nigeria should be denied US visas because “15,000 Haitians who received US visas ‘all have AIDS’ and 40,000 Nigerians [who visited the US on tourist visas that year] would never ‘go back to their huts’ after seeing the US.”
6. In January 2018, he was quoted to have said he didn’t want immigration into the US from “shithole countries” like Nigeria and Haiti; he said he preferred “more people coming in from places like Norway.”
7. In 2020, to appease his racist base, he banned Nigerians, along with other non-white countries, from immigrating to the US.
Biden isn’t a perfect candidate by any means, but you have to be a self-annihilating, mentally subnormal black person to vote for, or even support Trump, especially if the alternative is Biden whose record on fighting for justice for black people in America and in Africa is quite remarkable.